Saturday 11 October 2014

Inspiration | Music Videos

In my work, I am hugely inspired by the modern music videos, their techniques are not used in fashion films, and I think that the way their aesthetic is different from fashion films can help to create a new type of video stylistically.

Stop-motion


in that video, there is a lot of animation, but also, the elements of stop motion
In my film's edit the technique is used for opening credits for each part of the project.

Mirroring



it is, actually a widely-spread technique used among fashion film directors, especially those, who like the idea of movement in their films, like Ruth Hogben and her films for Gareth Pugh. But I like the inspiration of using it to bring 'psychedelic' feeling to it,and in some parts, have it come along with the 'layer' of psychedelic projection

Prisms

To create distorted image

old cameras, VHS, intentionally 'poor' quality







The reason I am inspired by music videos is because most of the time, they do not carry any specific story-line or narrative, they often have an unusual style(camera, etc) or editing technique, which is what I am looking into.
Following the surrealist idea of 'automatism', to tell a story, that doesn't hold a structured sequence of scenes (sometimes), it is, to my mind, important to see how you can experiment with editing.

And I like the 'roughness' of these videos because they are different from fashion films, that are most commonly would be beautifully sharp and 'clean'. Fashion rarely likes to be 'ugly', and almost never in the way it is presented.

I like how some videos I linked above, are very 'real', and purposefully distorted- some even shot from a screen, I did that as well, theta gives 'grainy'/ "bad tv"-effect. 
Even in music, it's not what people used to show in their videos, not until recently. Even the tacky videos from the 80s or 90s weren't made to be 'tacky' on purpose, how they looked was a new level of creativity for those times when they were released.

So why create this roughness?

Avant-garde and Surrealism,
both are set to go against the set of rules expected from art, in this case it's film, and that is what justifies my experiment of going against what it is that is expected from a fashion video.

No comments:

Post a Comment